Skip to content

April 13, 2010

Unable to Set Up Remote Access on HP MediaSmart Server After Fresh Install

When trying to turn on Remote Access on my Windows Home Server (HP MediaSmart Ex485, MediaSmart Server 3.0, Power Pack 3), I was not able to continue through the wizard as this first check fails:

“Verifying that your remote Web site is available locally”

Everything else on the server works fine, including being able to:

I did notice though that I was unable to browse to http://servername:56000 as I should be able to do.

I had performed a server recovery to reset the installation to factory defaults, with no such luck.

After reading many posts by others having the same issue and almost going bald from all my hair pulling, the cause seems to be fairly simple (and stupid). I believe that the problem developed from a certificate issue. I had originally used the Windows Live Custom Domains service to get a *.homeserver.com domain for my home server. Somehow, adding that to my fresh install created the issue.

So what I did was set up a temporary domain with the HP Personal Domian Name by TZO.com service and now everything is working just fine. I later was able to go back and change the temporary domain back to the WLCD service.

Simple (stupid).

Share your thoughts, post a comment.

(required)
(required)

Note: HTML is allowed. Your email address will never be published.

Subscribe to comments